It begins when I have my creativity back in motion. My mind starts racing with ideas for stories, art, drama. I centre on these ideas in class and while performing daily activities. I am most alert at night, for that is when the ideas truly come alive.
I have never been a big sleeper. For the past five years, I consider an early night to be any time before midnight. I average around six and a half hours a night, maybe add an extra hour for each day of the weekend. I can function alright on that. Though once I start falling bellow that mark, I start falling apart.
I become constantly tired. I am in that groggy state of awareness of being tired enough to lose functioning, though not exhausted enough to actually sleep. Sleep is so basic! A necessity! Why does my body & mind reject it?
I WANT to sleep. I follow suggestions - sleepy time tea, relaxation exercises, write your thoughts down before bed, limit caffeine throughout the day, have a good pillow, etc - but I lay awake at night! Do you have any suggestions to fall asleep?
The lack of sleep leads to a craving for energy. Since I am trying to limit my caffeine, my body begs for quick energy to come from carbs. The devil in dough form. I ate & ate & ate today. My hand finally reached into my the candy bowl upstairs, snuck a cookie, grabbed handfuls of crackers. This stops now.
My creativity not only interrupts my sleep, it makes me crave cigarettes like a mad man! I almost tackled a man with a cigarette, as I made my way back from uni this morning. I may have limited control over sleep, however, I can resist those cigarettes! As well as those dangerous carbs.
Looking at this in positive light, at least I have my creativity back :) And thank ya for stopping by Brixy, have a fantastic day!

i don´t fall to sleep easily either, mainly because i can´t stop thinking. my brain just can´t give itself a rest.i´ve been having this problem since i was 12 and i´ve basically tried every method there is. nothing really works. i just have to lie awake in bed and reconsider everything that happenend during the day - usually takes about 2,5 hours. i hope you´ll find something that works for you:))
ReplyDeleteWell I hear about hot milk. People say that it works to fall asleep.
ReplyDeleteI have sleeping problems so I may not be the best source but things I've found that help are: A good pillow that fits your sleeping position, a good mattress, the right temperature room, complete darkness (no phones, no clock no gaps in the blinds), Chiropractic adjustments help my sleep, embracing creative dreams (I'm an artist and regularly work in my sleep) It's all ok unless I'm stressed about it and then it's bad quality sleep. Meditation helps too! Also cutting out sugar and processed foods really helped my sleep.
ReplyDeleteAll the best, I hope you find what works for you xxx
Sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping. I know all to well about that. I tried taking a relaxing bath and having sleepy time tea, meditating and doing breathing exercises, reading something I'm interested in, reading something boring, writing in a journal and self massage, but the only thing that has really helped me is taking melatonin tablets. I started out taking a couple milligrams a couple hours before bed, but now I need to take more (10 mg). All the other things help too, but melatonin really helped get my circadian rhythm back in order. I hope that helps and that you get a better sleep tonight!
ReplyDeleteI sleep a maximum of 5-6 hours myself. It's just a bad habit. I recommend switching off the computer at least an hour before bed and spending that hour vegging out. I have a problem with this, as I feel like I never have enough hours in the day. It must be a side effect of my age! I also recommend an iron skillet to the base of the skull! Just kidding! Hope you bag some z's! <3. XXX.
ReplyDeleteI'm exactly the same way. My body just refuses to sleep. I can't even remember what it's like to fall asleep without sleeping pills. And even with the pills, I can only manage 6 hours of sleep a night. >:O
ReplyDeleteThe creative thoughts are definitely a factor in the insomnia. My brain never stops making up stories--I can't turn it off. But I'd rather have the stories keeping me awake than have writer's block. :) I'm glad you got your creativity back! You should share any art or writings you create.
xoxo