Saturday, June 11, 2011

Passionate Women & Sweet Potatoes

Thanks for the comments Mich and Cinnamon Brown. I'm glad you ladies think it was a cover up, I can understand that. I'm also glad I can get this sorted out this summer.

Last night I went to one of my favourite places in the City. It is a ritzy bookstore with 2 levels, a spiral staircase, a classy restaurant, live music, & more books than I could read in a life time. I spent most of my evening flipping through "The Great LIFE Photographers." There were hilarious & heart-wrenching & breathtaking & romantic & stunning photographs. Staring at the likes of Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, & Elizabeth Taylor made me smile. What is it about those women in those days? This isn't limited to the women above, or any famous women for that matter, all women in those days seem to have a certain quality to them. They are so intriguing. They are seemingly happy & are so lovable. I think what it is, what makes them have that spark, is their PASSION. They have it in their eyes. They are right there, in the moment, loving every second of whatever they are smiling at. They are alive in the photos.

Rita Hayworth by Bob Landry

I need to find passion like that. I've started writing stories again, & I need to become tied to the characters, so involved with them in order to feel that passion. I need to start doing art again, coming alive on the canvas. And eventually, I have to abandon my own abandonment issues & find passion with a man. By moving towards that I think I can get over my food issues, because that is what this is about. I really think that weight loss & the consuming of food have become my passions, & I want to focus on something else.

   Soldier with Girlfriend by Ralph Morse


For right now, I'm still with the food thing.
Today I did well with consuming fruits, veggies & liquids. I had:
Breakfast = smoothie (strawberries, banana, spinach, ground flax seed, greek yogurt, almond milk, bit of honey) shared with my Baba.
Lunch = large salad (spinach, cucumber, tomato, red pepper, balsamic vinegar)
Dinner = steamed spinach, Cuban Roasted Sweet Potatoes, salad (lettuce, tomato, red pepper, lemon juice), strawberries

Had 5 glasses water so far, 1 mug of green tea.
I'll probably snack on some fruit later, maybe a glass of chocolate almond milk too. Yum!

I highly recommend the steamed spinach & sweet potatoes for dinner! It's incredibly low calorie, so filling, & it looks like you're eating a ton! (if you're under a watchful eye, you know how handy that can be). The recipe is at: http://www.thekindlife.com/user/recipe/cuban-style-roasted-sweet-potatoes. I only make it with half of a medium sweet potato for myself, rather than 3 large. So I cut back on the oil a lot. And I haven't tried it with the lime juice & garlic yet. The parsley adds a lot of delicious flavor! Enjoy it!

Steve McQueen & wife Nellie by John Dominis


Sigh, to be looked at like that. . .
Have an excellent weekend while it lasts!

1 comment:

  1. That book sounds really interesting! I love looking at old photographs- makes you wonder what sort of life the person in the picture had- what gave them the spark and passion you see in their eyes. Makes you want a passion of your own. I completely agree- sometimes we get so wrapped up in losing that next pound that we forget about other things or let things pass us by without realizing it. I love how you described story writing as getting so involved and tied into the characters. I often have this "movie" playing in my head and sometimes I want to just grab a notebook and write what I imagine, but I'm too afraid that it won't be good. I just need to forget about those negative thoughts and find that passion again. Painting is the same way- I'm too focused on how "good" the painting has too be and I lose the fun in it. Again, I shouldn't worry about things like that- I should just paint because it's a passion. I would really like to see some pictures of your art! I love art...it's so creative and inspiring!

    You intake for the day sounds so delicious! Sweet potatoes are my favorite vegetable ever! I could never get sick of them :) Take care and I hope your week is amazing- and I hope you're able to find your passions again ♥

    ReplyDelete